B asked: How are you and Shell alike and different?
Shell and I have many more differences than similarities actually. It's kind of a wonder how we're still together because of the vast imbalance, but I think that is a testament to the biggest similarity of all...the way we love each other. This may sound cheesy and over the top, so be prepared. Even back when we were just friends and not yet a couple, we were together whenever possible. And we were affectionate. LOTS of hugging and leaning on each other, if we were standing together she'd throw her arm around me and keep it there. All of that continued once we were official, and other than holding hands it probably didn't look much different to our friends. When we were alone however, we couldn't get close enough. And that has pretty much stayed the same. When we're watching TV or a movie, I sit back and she lays on my chest. When we go to bed, I spoon her. We tell each other "I love you" before we end EVERY phone call with each other (unless we're arguing about something). We miss each other when we're apart. Now, this all could partly be a result of her working graveyard shifts for the last 12 years, so we only go to bed with each other two nights a week, but I think it's also just how we are. And I believe that the fierce and passionate way that we love each other is how we have dealt with the many adversities and problems that we have over the years. And how we deal with:
- she LOVES trashy television, soap operas, and reality shows. The Real Housewives of (wherever), Keeping up with the Kardashians, Fashion Police, The Dish, any after-awards show fashion recaps, etc... Our DVR is full of them and I can't stand them.
- she LOVES country music and I can tolerate the more mainstream artists like Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum, Sugarland. We agree on many pop artists, but she is not at all a fan of classic rock which I love like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, etc.
- our approach to arguments are polar opposite. She want to deal with the conflict, get it out however necessary even if it means we're yelling to do so. I prefer to avoid conflicts, even if that means it doesn't get resolved. This is probably our hardest difference to deal with.
- she LOVES to shop, especially for clothes. I very much do not.
- she could eat pizza every day and be happy. I don't mind pizza, but she only likes 3 toppings. Ever. Pepperoni, sausage, black olives. That's it. I like lots of different things. We never share a pizza for this exact reason.
- she is always cold, I am usually hot. During the winter, her side of the bed has 2-3 blankets plus the sheet, mine has the sheet and 1 blanket.
- She doesn't like chocolate. Need I say more??
Seriously, I could go on for a while. It really is a wonder how we stay together, but we do. That's how we know that with all our differences and the hard stuff we've had to deal with, we are meant to be together.
Thanks for the question. Now who's next??