What it's all about...

I'm a 39 year old wife, mom, daughter, sister, aunt & friend. That should tell you who I'll be writing about most of the time.







Friday, November 12, 2010

Date Nights

Wow, thanks for the questions everyone! I did, however get a question that I don't necessarily mind answering, but I would prefer to know who asked it. It was asked from Anonymous, so if this was you please let me know and I'll answer.



Moving on... Heidi asked "what is the very best date night the two of you have had".
This really made me think and then feel a little sad, because there are not really all that many "date nights" in our time together. There are very few people we've ever left our kids with and when we do impose on them it's usually just to have dinner and/or see a movie. Or we go to the gay bar downtown and have drinks and just chill until the bar closes and we go home. They are good times and it's always nice to have uninterrupted time to focus on each other, but often we'd rather save the money and just stay home and watch movies together. That said, there has been one evening that stands out.

Most likely due to the fact that we don't take much time out for us, my amazing wife planned a night out for us as a complete surprise to me. A year or so ago, I arrived home on a Friday to find that Shell's car wasn't in the garage and no one was home. This was very out of the ordinary, so I checked on the kitchen table where notes often are left. I found one there that said "Go upstairs". At first I thought that she got someone to watch the kids and she'd be up there looking sexy and waiting for me... Until I remembered that her car was gone so she couldn't be there. When I got upstairs, there was a bag on the bed with another note on top that said "Put this on. You will receive a text at 6:00 with further instructions." In the bag was a pair of panties, black sandals, a black bra, and a tunic type dress. I had about 10 minutes until 6, so I changed into the outfit. The dress was VERY short and quite low cut, but it made me feel kind of sexy wearing it. I tried not to think too much about the sandals as I wasn't too sure about leaving the house in that outfit. At 6:00 her best friend called. My wife is a horrible texter and realized after the fact that what needed to be relayed would be too much and enlisted Dana to help. The first thing I said to her was "I don't have to leave the house right?" to which she told me she couldn't answer any questions or say more than she was told to. In a dresser drawer were directions to where I was supposed to go next and if I needed any help finding it (she wouldn't tell me what "it" was) she could help me with directions only, but regardless I was supposed to text Shell when I got there. I asked her if she had my kids and she said that my parents had them. I told that I was wearing a completely inappropriate dress and she asked me if I wanted her to tell Shell I wasn't going. No, I said, I'll figure it out somehow.
Not being familiar with the area I was directed to go, I just got in the car and drove. There was now a part of me hoping that I wouldn't have to get out of the car once there, but it was fading. The directions took me to a super cute new hotel which was a very exciting prospect and I sent the "I'm here, now what?" text to my wife. The only response was a room number. I panicked then, not confident enough to walk through the parking lot and into the hotel in such a revealing outfit. I sat in the car for probably 5 minutes trying to get up the courage to go in. In the meantime, Dana had called her and told her that I had mentioned being nervous about the dress, so Dana called me just as I was about to call it off and said that there was a back entrance I could use. So I sucked it up and walked to the door she directed me to, only to find it locked. My heart sank. I called Dana back and told her it was locked and she said she would call Shell to come open it for me.
I know this sounds childish, but even getting out of the car took a leap of faith I'd never known I had before. That dress was very sexy, but I felt that it didn't belong on a person of my size without some jeans or at least leggings underneath. I had nothing but a bra and panties on under it and felt very self-conscious.
So, I'm still standing at the back door when my phone rings. As soon as I saw it was Shell's cell I breathed in and for whatever reason looked up. And 3 floors up, I could see her standing there looking at me through the window. She was smiling and she looked HOT! Jeans, button-up dress shirt & tie.. My heart started beating faster and I knew I could do it. I answered and I said "I'm on my way". She asked if I was okay and I said as long as you stay there I will be. I kept my eye on her until I got to the main entrance and walked in. I didn't make eye contact with anyone and speed walked to the elevator which was empty. Of course, just before the doors closed a woman got in with me. She stood right inside the doors and got out at the next floor without saying a word. When the doors opened on the 3rd floor, Shell was there and the look on her face made me see that I'd made the right choice.
We did go to dinner later and she had brought a more comfortable change of clothes for me to wear to the restaurant. There was an incredible view out the windows of our room which had a very cool design. There was a huge shower with 2 showerheads and a very comfortable king sized bed. I won't share the details of what happened the rest of the night or the next morning, but the whole experience was incredible and memorable from the moment I got home and found the first note to the moment we picked up our kids from my parents. I'm not sure how I'll ever top it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi I am anonymous - actually my name is Julie...part of a two mom family with three children from Ohio. I am a computer dork, and I do not know how to comment on a blog without being "anonymous"....I don't have a blog, a blogger account, or a google account, so my only choice is to choose anonymous....sorry about that....luckily I do not comment on blogs very often:)