What it's all about...

I'm a 39 year old wife, mom, daughter, sister, aunt & friend. That should tell you who I'll be writing about most of the time.







Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Happy and Sad

I am so incredibly happy that Barack Obama was elected our next President.



I am proud that for the first time in 16 years, Colorado is a BLUE state.



I am glad that we elected a Democrat as Senator. Not to mention that we already have a Democratic Governor.



I am heartened that of the 7 open seats in the House, Colorado elected Democrats to 5 of them.

One is the nation's first openly gay non-incumbent and the other trounced the uber-conservative & homophobic incumbent to become the first Democrat to hold Colorado's 4th Congressional District seat in 36 years.



I am relieved that the measure that would have defined life as beginning at conception was defeated by more than 70%.



BUT

I am so disappointed with the results on Prop 8 in California. People actually want to write an amendment to the state consitution stating that marriage can only be between a man and a woman. When will we become better than making it a law to discriminate?

It is another blow to see similar ballot measures in Arizona and Florida passing as well. Unbelievable.

It broke my heart to see that Arkansas passed a measure that prohibits unmarried sexual partners from adopting children or from serving as foster parents. This applies to gay couples, unmarried straight couples and single people. Can somebody explain to me how it is better for these kids to stay in the system then for them to find parents who want them, regardless of the makeup of their family? I don't get it.

It's hard to be excited and crushed at the same time, but that's what I am today. Hopeful and despairing. It sucks. It just doesn't seem right that people should get to vote on my rights. Or that discrimination in any form is law. There is only so much that our new President will be able to accomplish, especially since he's going to be dealing with the way Bush is leaving our country. But I have to hold out hope that he will make some change somewhere towards equality and fairness for my family and others like it. Along with everything else that I believe he can do. How long until January 20th?

3 comments:

Jilliebean said...

Ugh.

I can't wait to live in a country that sees us as people and can actually UNDERSTAND that we want the same things in our lives that they do.

It is so unfair that the biggots in this country get to decide our lives for us. What if GLBT's stood up all over America and decided that straight people should not get married or that unless they have been married for 5 years and have had more than 3 miscarriages can't be foster parents or adopt a baby? We would be LAUGHED at. Who are we to make rules for other people? We're American citizens the same as the straight people are!

I don't believe that straight people should follow those rules, I just wish that they would see the world through our eyes and see how truly unfair it really is.

Here's to praying that Obama can open some of that true equality up.

Let us live our lives just as the "other" people do in America.

StephLove said...

I hear you, Tyff. Happy and sad just about sums it up.

Teaberry said...

CO did almost the same thing as VA---amazing!

But, I totally agree with you about everything else. I am just hoping that things will change under new leadership.... We'll see. We can hope. I mean, we were just shown that very good things can happen!

by the way, mind if I link to you on my blog--I only have like, 3 readers anyway. I am just trying to keep myself organized!