What it's all about...

I'm a 39 year old wife, mom, daughter, sister, aunt & friend. That should tell you who I'll be writing about most of the time.







Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Filler

So much is going on right now, and I am a little overwhelmed with how to put it down here. So to get my writing juices flowing again, I'm gonna write about the many movies we have watched lately. And there have been many... So here goes~
No Reservations - This movie was very cute. It stars Catherine Zeta-Jones as a very self-involved upscale chef who's life is turned upside down when she is left to care for her niece when her sister dies. Her status as head chef is threatened when a temporary chef is hired to fill in as she acclimates to her new circumstances. Abigail Breslin plays the niece, and I am finding myself enjoying more every time I see her in something. I thought it was a very good movie, and the food in it...oh my!
Miss Potter - Renee Zellweger plays Beatrix Potter,the author and illustrator of the Peter Rabbit books. She is considered an "old maid" by Victorian England standards, but is unfazed by it in the love and affection she carries for her characters. Ewan McGregor plays her publisher. Both of them are very good in these roles and the children's literature subject matter adds a whimsical tone. I am not a "fan" of Renee Zellweger, but I really enjoyed her in this movie.
Awake - Hayden Christenson is a very successful man who undergoes surgery for a heart transplant and has the unfortunate luck of being conscious throughout his surgery. He feels the pain and hears everything going on. And there is a lot going on! This movie held my interest from the start, through the twists that come out. Jessica Alba stars as the fiance of the unlucky patient.
Waitress - So so so so good! I copied this plot summary because I don't think I could have put it better.
Trapped in a miserable marriage and blessed with the ability to transform her misery into delicious desserts, a small-town waitress finds her life forever changed by an unplanned pregnancy. Every day, Jenna ies on her apron and serves her customers with a smile, and every night she goes to bed knowing that she is one step closer to the day that she can kiss her scarily domineering husband goodbye forever. A smart and sassy baker whose extraordinary pies are inspired by her daily trials and tribulations, Jenna fears that her dreams are all but dead when handsome Dr. Pomatter reveals that she is soon to become a mother. As Jenna begins penning a series of letters to her unborn baby, her life starts to change for the better in ways she never could have imagined. The final film from actress/filmmaker Adrienne Shelly, Waitress debuted at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah just months after the director was discovered dead in her New York City apartment -- the victim of a homicide.
Keri Russell plays Jenna and Nathan Fillion plays her doctor. I highly recommend this one.
Arctic Tale - This is March of the Penguins, except with Queen Latifah narrating and the focus on a baby polar bear and a baby walrus. This is a fantastic documentary that shows a small hint of what global warming is doing to our earth. If you liked the penguin movie, you'll surely like this one too.
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill - This documentary centers on an area of San Francisco that has become home to a large flock of wild parrots. No one really paid much attention to them until a street musician started to feed and care for the birds and developed a close bond with them. I really liked this one, the man's care and gentleness with the birds is very heartening.
Iraq for Sale: The War Profiteers - This documentary angered me so much. It focuses on the profit made by big corporations when we are at war and how that affects not only the employees, but the soldiers serving as well. Why can't people see the money making business that this war has become? Check it out if you are tired of hearing the biased rhetoric we are fed from the "news".
Southland Tales - I really didn't like this movie. I had a very hard time following it and to be hones I even dozed off a little while watching. I'm not sure how to describe it, so I'm not going to try. Shell thought it was really good, it's just not my kind of movie I guess.

Nim's Island - We took the kids to see this at the theater and we all loved it. Abigail Breslin and Jodie Foster star in this. Just go see it. Trust me.

No comments: