What it's all about...

I'm a 39 year old wife, mom, daughter, sister, aunt & friend. That should tell you who I'll be writing about most of the time.







Thursday, December 6, 2007

Talent

My children make me proud. All the time.
They are in their school's elementary choir. They have choir practice on Mondays and Thursdays after school from 4:00-5:15. I go directly from work to pick them up. Well yesterday (Wednesday) there was an after school informational meeting about the musical being put on in the spring. The choir students automatically have a part in the choir in the musical, but if they want a speaking part they have to try out. That's what my kids want - speaking parts. For last years musical, they both tried out for speaking/solo parts but did not get them. They were disappointed (the girl mostly), but I think they finally understood that the younger kids don't usually get them, especially without some experience. So they have been looking forward to this years musical ever since. They sang in the choir during the last musical, so now they think they are qualified.
So the meeting was supposed to go until 5:15 yesterday, giving me the right amount of time to get there to pick them up. My boy called me at 4:45 to tell me that they were done. I told him that I couldn't leave until 5:00, and that I would be there as soon as I could. Just wait inside the doors for me, I told him. I left at 5:00 and of course there was construction on the street that I take to get to their school. The normally 5-7 minute drive took me almost 15 minutes. When I got to the school they came out with the choir teacher, who waited with them. I apologized for the delay and explained that I was under the understanding that it didn't get over until 5:15. She was nice about it and explained that she didn't feel comfortable leaving knowing they were still waiting. Then she said:

"You'll want to keep in mind that if your kids get speaking parts the rehearsals will only go until 4:45. And I'm sure they will, because they are so talented."

"Because they are so talented".
You heard it here folks. My children are talented. I know, it's only elementary school choir. And people and teachers have been telling me that they have various talents through the years. But this is the first time they've been called talented referring to music. And that makes me happier than I could have imagined.

And after telling Shell this, we agreed that if the speaking parts come to fruition, someone will pick them up at 4:45, come hell or high water!

No comments: