What it's all about...

I'm a 39 year old wife, mom, daughter, sister, aunt & friend. That should tell you who I'll be writing about most of the time.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Facebook Got Me!

Wow, it's been almost 2 weeks since I last posted. I've kept up with the blogs I read through my reader pretty good, but have been horrible about commenting. And why? One word: Facebook. I had resisted joining, figuring that keeping up on my myspace and trying to keep up with this blog was really all I could handle. And I'm still not exactly sure what finally convinced me, but I did and the newness hasn't yet faded. I'm not sure when it will, but it will. Right? I didn't think I would, but I kind of love it. And I'm kind of obsessed with checking it ALL DAY LONG to see if I've missed anything. But that won't last. RIGHT??

In the fantastic news department, our new computer should arrive on Friday. It's just lovely and I can't wait to have it all set up. It is so much better than the one we had. We got it about 6 years ago as a gift from a former co-worker of mine. It had been given to him and was already a bit dated when we got it. But we were grateful to finally have a computer and just lived with it. I can't imagine how great it's going to be to have the new one. My fantastic co-worker is going to come set it up for us and install some software for us. All for a case of beer.

On the television front: My cousin came to look at the TV and pronounced it Able To Be Saved, it just needed a $300 board. He wouldn't charge us anything to put it in though. This began many conversations about what to do. See, 3 years ago we got this television from him that he had obtained through his work as a repairman. It is a 50" Samsung LCD and he sold it to us for $700. We were so thrilled to go from the 20" television that I'd had since high school! And it was worth all $700 too! Until the sound went out. We decided that even though we probably wouldn't be able to get as big of a TV, it would be worth it to just get a new one. And thanks to Memorial Day sales, we went out shopping yesterday morning and found a great deal on a 46" Samsung LCD. And since it was such a great deal, we decided to see if we could get as lucky on a new one for our bedroom which still had an old 20" that was a hand-me-down as well. We found a 32" Panasonic LCD that was marked down as we stood in front of it. SOLD! It was fun and as we were discussing what features were important it occurred to us that it was the first time we've bought a new television since we've been together. All of our TV's have been hand-me-downs and even though we did technically buy the one we were replacing, it was still a used one when we bought it. Dana brought her Explorer to pick them up and we headed for home. I hooked up the one in our room last night and we all climbed on the bed to watch a couple episodes of Bones before going to bed. I'll get the big one hooked up in the family room tonight, and then I can try out my new Wii Fit too. New computer and TV's... It's a pretty exciting time in my house right now. Expensive...but exciting.

My three day weekend was absolutely lovely. I got to leave work at 4:00 on Friday and went home to a delicious roast with carrots and onions that Shell had put in the crock pot that morning. I made mashed potatoes and after the kids got home we ate. It was so, so good. I played MarioKart on the Wii with the kids and talked to my sister on the phone until late.
I got up Saturday morning and convinced my boy to help me do some yardwork. We've got a lot of weeds and I wanted to clean up around the grass where it meets the rocks. He got distracted early on by the amount of "roly-poly's" we were unearthing and started collecting them in a bucket. Soon after, some of the boys in the neighborhood found their way over and joined in the collecting. It was quite a sight. After 3 hours of pulling weeds, getting rocks out of the grass, and clearing out under bushes, I was tired and starting to feel a little light-headed. I was almost done, but forced myself to stop. As soon as I got in the house, I felt like I was going to throw up and pass out. It was not a good feeling. I laid down on the floor in the bathroom and Shell brought me some water. Luckily, the feeling ended pretty fast but Shell made me go upstairs and lay down anyway. She made me some lunch and soon after that I fell asleep. I slept for about 2 hours and after watching Food Network for a while, we ran to the store to get stuff for yummy toasted italian sandwiches for dinner that night and food for the BBQ we were going to on Sunday at Dana's.
Sunday morning we got up and made pasta salad and cupcakes to take to Dana's. I prepped hamburger patties and cooked up some bacon. We headed over about 2:00, as the rain was moving in. Luckily, Jeannie didn't mind grilling in the rain and we had hamburgers, hot dogs and ribs from the grill. They also made fried okra and I sauteed mushrooms. We had so much food, we were all stuffed by the time we were done. The kids played on the trampoline (in the rain at times), and played Wii. My girl is reading To Kill A Mockingbird for her summer reading requirement, so she was pretty wrapped up in that. Somehow, they were all preoccupied with themselves enough to let us play games mostly uninterrupted. We played Catchphrase, Scattergories and SceneIt. We had such a great time and didn't leave until after 11:00.
My boy ended up spending the night at Dana's, which made shopping for the TV much easier on Sunday morning with just the girl. We got up early and headed out around 9am. After we got the TV's home, we went over to my parents house to barbecue. My grandma is here from CA, so we got to visit with her too. We ended up watching the DVD's that we had made from OLD reel-to-reel movies that belonged to my dad's parents. They were so neat to watch. Then we went home, I hooked up the TV in our room, popped popcorn and watched Bones.
And now, I'm at work. You know, working... And wishing I was at home again. Three day weekends just don't come often enough.


B said...

Wow! What a packed weekend!!! Good for you! Went back to work to rest, I guess! lol

Anonymous said...

what a packed weekend, indeed!!
ive been resisting facebook for that very reason!

cheap lcd tv said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
StephLove said...

I've been on FB since February and it's still pretty addictive.

Email me at slovelady@aol.com if you want to friend me. I'll tell you my real name.

AJ's mommy said...

Yay for new tv's and computers!!!

SJayneI said...

I'm totally addicted to FaceBook as well. Look me up Stephanie Ingersoll in Tulsa Oklahoma.